Monday, January 20, 2014

Meatless Monday - Cheesy Tortellini and Cannellini Bean Soup

Meatless Monday Week 3 was a rocking success here at Chez Milligan. The Little Milligan was happy, the Big Milligan was happy and that means Momma Milligan was happy. This week, I had a coupon for a beautiful loaf of crusty Italian bread for 79 cents! Immediately I thought soup and bread for dinner on Monday.  Today could not have been a more perfect day for soup. It was a little cold and a little snowy all day.

I knew I wanted to have some color and protein in my soup to make it pretty. I chose rainbow cheese tortellini, and frozen chopped spinach.  I knew I needed more protein so I added cannellini beans. Cooked beans can have anywhere from 14-16 grams of protein per cup. Of course I love cheese so there is some grated cheese in the broth and my secret soup ingredient is a 1/4 cup of white wine. It gives just the nicest bit of acid and it is no longer a secret.

Soup cooking on the stove all day, bread in the oven to crisp up the crust 15 minutes before dinner time. Perfect.


Cheesy Tortellini and Cannellini Bean Soup 

6 cups chicken stock
1 can cannellini beans
1 cup frozen chopped spinach
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup white wine
1 package fresh rainbow cheese tortellini
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 small onion finely diced
2 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

In a stock pot on medium heat sauté onion and garlic in olive oil. When onions are tender (about 5 minutes) add chicken stock and wine and bring to a boil. Once boiling add spinach, beans, cheese and tortellini. Simmer until tortellini are cooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment