Friday, April 19, 2013

Dear St. Jude...



Dear St. Jude, I really would like to make chili.  I am not asking you to help me find the chili but rather my can opener that I need to get into the 7 cans that go into my chili.  Love, Kim

As you can see I have lost my can opener.  I did not realize how much I actually used my can opener until I found myself without it.  Every meal I have thought to cook this week requires said can opener. Chili being the worst offender. I did not realize it was missing until Tuesday.   I went to make the creamed corn to go with our tamales.  I got the corn out of the cabinet and looked where my can opener should be... no can opener. I glanced around the counters...no can opener. What the what?  Think Kim, when was the last time you used it?  Friday, self. I used it Friday to open a bazillion cans of sauce, crushed tomatoes and paste for me to make the 6 gallons of meat sauce for the Girl Scouts spaghetti supper. *HEAD SLAP* Oh no, I left my beloved and apparently hardest working kitchen tool at the spaghetti supper!

So I have been operating this week with one of those little poke and push can openers.  The creamed corn looked like something came and chewed the top off.  Wednesday we had chicken parm with spaghetti and I used a jar of Classico sauce (if I can't make my own sauce this is the only sauce I will use.  Right now one of the grocery stores around here has a great deal on Classico sauces so I have allotted $10 in my shopping budget to get 5 jars every time I go to the store until the special is over.).  Thursday we went out to eat after going to the movies (Jack the Giant Slayer at our second run theater in town.  Such a good movie.) My initial thought was to have chili waiting in the crock pot when we got home then I remembered my missing can opener. Tonight I made cheese enchiladas.  I am getting better with my poke and push can opener it only took me 10 minutes to open this can.  Hopefully someone picked up my can opener at the dinner. Until then my sister (who lives down the block) loaned me one, apparently she has 3!

It has been a little while since I posted a recipe (I have a bunch coming. I went to Louisiana over spring break and got to cook with my family!) So here is my Enchilada recipe from dinner tonight.

Easy Cheesy Enchiladas

8 - 6 inch flour tortillas
16 oz queso blanco
1 cup shredded cheese blend
28 ounce mild red enchilada sauce

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Spray the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.  Pour just enchilada sauce to cover the bottom of the baking dish.
Cut the queso blanco cheese into 8 2 ounce strips.
Roll cheese tightly in tortillas placing them seam side down in baking dish.
Pour remaining enchilada sauce over of rolled tortillas and top with shredded cheese.

Cover dish and bake for 30 minutes until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbly.  Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes before serving.  Enchiladas will sort of flatten out.

Serve with spanish rice and refried beans.


No comments:

Post a Comment