Friday, April 26, 2013

Paradise by the Magnalite

It's here! I finally have a Magnalite pot in my house! Generations of Guillory women in my family have and still cook with Magnalite cookware. My grandmother taught me how to make gumbo it one.  My mother taught me how to make chili in one.  Most recently, my wonderful cousin Patricia taught me how to make her easy crawfish etouffe recipe in one. (One of the biggest Magnalites I have ever seen by the way!)

Four generations of Guillory women. 
 I have seen its re release to the public but refused to use anything but vintage. (Yes, I am a pot snob.)  On my most recent visit to Louisiana and Florida I drooled over all the Magnalite being used to cook Easter dinner.  I tried like the dickens to sneak a pot or two out to our car (believe it or not we drove from New York to Louisiana!).  But to no avail, I left the Sportsman's Paradise Magnalite-less.

I had all but given up my quest when, on the last day in Florida, along with some hand-me-down wall hangings for my house...there it was. Quietly sitting at the bottom of the pile.  My mother's Magnalite GHC 5 quart stock pot. (squee!)  I could barely contain my joy.  OK, I didn't contain my joy. Truth be told I danced around the kitchen with it and then kissed it.

Now my Magnalite is home and sits on my stove.  I can't bring myself to put it away yet.  Tonight I am cooking Patricia's etouffee.  I know it is crazy but my Magnalite makes me feel connected to all the strong, beautiful Guillory women who have come before me. And one day soon, I will teach Keely how to cook her first meal in my Magnalite pot.



Sorry, forgot the Ro*tel

Patricia's Easy Crawfish Etouffee

1 lb crawfish tails with juices 
1 can Ro*tel (diced tomatoes) 
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of celery soup
½ cup white wine
½ cup chicken stock
1 large onion (chopped)
1 green pepper (chopped)
2 or 3 garlic cloves (minced) to taste
2 or 3 Tbsp parsley (chopped) to taste
1 stick of butter
Tony Chachere’s Creole seasoning (to taste)

In a 4 quart pot over medium heat saute onions, green pepper in butter until soft (about 25 minutes).  Add garlic and cook another 3 minutes stirring constantly so garlic does not burn.
Stir in cream of celery, cream of mushroom, wine and chicken stock.
Increase heat and bring to a boil stirring constantly.
Reduce heat to medium and stir in crawfish and Tony's seasoning(to taste).
Cook for about 10 minutes and reduce heat to low. Sprinkle parsley on top.

Serve over hot rice. 

Being the Yankee Cajun that I am I do not like spicy food.  I put very little heat in my food when I cook it, so I serve this with a bottle of hot sauce. 


No comments:

Post a Comment