Tuesday, April 23, 2013

What to do for Lunch?

I have a confession to make.

I love cheese sticks. 

Not just any cheese sticks, they have to be Sargento Provolone Mozzarella cheese sticks. I can eat them three at a time.  It is my lunch of choice. It is my snack of choice and quite frankly it is my dessert of choice.  However, I won't eat them cold. They have to be room temperature or warmed slightly in the microwave (5 seconds).  Bump into  me out somewhere and ask to see a cheese stick.... chances are I will have at least one on me. (have cheese will travel)
I know that this is not a healthy lunch choice and really can't be done everyday with out some serious gastro-intestinal distress.  So I have a rotating line-up of quick and easy lunches that I make for myself.  All recipes serve 1.

Quick and Easy Shrimp Salad

5 boiled shrimp (16-20 count size)
1/2 Hass avocado
1 hard boiled egg
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp Hellmann's mayonnaise

Dice shrimp, avocado and hard boiled egg. In a small bowl toss diced shrimp, avocado and egg with lemon juice and mayo until well dressed.  Serve on bed of lettuce if desired.

California Roll Salad

4 oz Trans Ocean Shred Style Imitation Crab
1/4 Hass avocado diced
1/4 cup diced cucumber
1/4 cup white rice
2oz cream cheese (optional) cubed
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp ginger paste

In a small bowl combine imitation crab, avocado, cucumber, rice and diced cream cheese.  In an small bowl whisk together soy sauce, vinegar, lemon juice and ginger.  Pour dressing over salad ingredients and mix to combine.

Mozzarella Rollatini Salad

3oz Mozzarella Prosciutto rollatini  diced
     or 3oz mozzarella pearls and 1/8 cup diced prosciutto
1/4 cup diced roma tomatoes
1/4 garbanzo beans (optional)
1 tbsp balsamic glaze
1 tsp olive oil
1 cup chopped romaine lettuce

Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Drizzle with glaze and olive oil.  Serve over 1 cup chopped romaine lettuce.



My current favorite lunch is a spinach and cheese stuffed pita. Sort of like a mini calzone with out the ricotta cheese.

Skinny Calzone

1 pita bread
1/2 cup baby spinach
1/4 cup tomato sauce (I used Classico Florentine)
1/4 cup Italian blend shredded cheese
6 pieces reduced fat pepperoni

On a microwave safe place place pita bread. Slice just the top of the pita and open.  Spoon 1/8 cup of sauce on bottom.  Stuff with Baby spinach. Spoon remaining sauce over top of spinach and add pepperoni.  Finish with cheese.

Cover plate and microwave for 2 minutes until cheese is melty and bubbly.

That is it. Simple and easy. I have even  made this with out the pita and just put everything in a shallow bowl.  Just a yummy and less carbs.



No comments:

Post a Comment