Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Ashes and Shrimp

Remember that thou art dust, and to dust thou shalt return.  Genesis 3:19

Today is the first day of Lent.  Ash Wednesday.  For many Catholics, myself included it is a day of fasting, abstinence of meat and repentance.  From now until Easter, Fridays means no meat.  I have a pretty good arsenal of meatless/seafood dishes that I use during the Lenten season.  As I think of it some of them I have a tendency to only cook during Lent.

Another common practice among Catholics is to "give something up" for the 40 days of Lent.  I don't do that, instead for the last 9 years I try to do something "good" every day.  It can be making a donation to some sort of charitable organization, or as simple as letting someone in front of me while driving.  I promised God when Keely was born, if he helped my baby breathe that I would "do good".  He did and I do.

So, today being our first meatless meal of Lent I wanted to make something yummy.  I chose Shrimp and Grits.  Of course I cheated once again and took the semi-homemade route (thank you Sandra Lee for coining that phrase) cooking out of my pantry and freezer.



Cheater Shrimp and Grits

1 cup quick grits
4 cups water
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup Velveeta cheese cubed
1/2 tsp salt
1 pound shrimp cleaned deveined
1 tbsp vegetable oil (I used coconut oil) 

In a medium sauce pan bring water, butter, salt and grits to boil.  Turn heat down to medium and cook until grits are tender and have thickened.  Remove from heat and stir in Velveeta cheese. 

In a skillet heat oil over medium high heat.  Add shrimp and cook until slightly pink but still translucent.  Add sauce and reduce heat to low.  Cook and stir until shrimp are cooked through.  Remove from heat. Perfectly cooked shrimp will look like a C.  An over cooked shrimp will curl tightly into an O. 

Dish grits into a bowl and spoon shrimp with scampi sauce over top. 

No comments:

Post a Comment