Sunday, February 3, 2013

Super Bowl

So today was the Super Bowl.  Really what is the Super Bowl but an excuse for friends to get together to eat and drink.  I never could understand 1) Why is it on a Sunday? and 2) Why is it on so late on a Sunday?  There has to be some data out there about the rate of workplace absenteeism on the Monday after a Super Bowl.

This year at Chez Milligan we had a little gathering of family.  There was much talk about what goodies to make.  An admonition for me to not OVER cook.  An agreement on my part to TRY not to over cook.  And with that the menu was decided...

Kim's Famously Delicious Chili
Buffalo Chicken Dip
Sweet and Sour Meatballs
Holy Moly Guacamole
Creamed Cornbread
Various items for dipping in above mentioned dips and chili

Buffalo Chicken dip is a favorite everywhere.  Of course I can't be satisfied with the recipes out there so starting with the Frank's Hot Sauce Recipe I of course have a Kimified version of my own. I cut down on the amount of wing sauce. I don't do spicy food. I know you think Italian/Cajun = spicy.  Not this girl.

Blue Cheese Buffalo Chicken Dip 

1 package Perdue Chicken Shortcuts Honey Roasted (9 oz)
1/4 cup Franks Wing Sauce
1/2 cup Blue Cheese Dip
1 cup crumbled blue cheese
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
8 oz softened cream cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In an oven safe dish stir cream cheese until smooth.  Add wing sauce, blue cheese dip, crumbled blue cheese, 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella, and chicken.  Mix until all ingredients are incorporated.  Sprinkle top with remaining mozzarella.  Bake 20 minutes or until heated through. Serve with celery sticks, crackers and or tortilla chips.


Holy Moly Guacamole

2 ripe avocados
2 tbsp lime juice
2 tbsp salsa
1/4 cup sour cream
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp kosher salt

Peel and pit avocados.  Place in a bowl and mash with a fork.  Don't over mash, you want it to be a bit chunky.  Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine.  Serve right away, or cover with cling wrap touching surface of guacamole (so it won't brown) and chill until ready to serve.

Note: I make a little well in the center of my guacamole and fill it with a mild salsa.


I forgot to take a picture of the meatballs.  This recipe is ridiculously simple.  They are typical boy food to me, but I have to admit they are delicious.

Sweet and Sour Meatballs
deep south dish
photo from deepsouthdish.com

1 jar grape jelly 16oz
1 jar cocktail sauce 12oz
1 bag frozen meatballs

Heat grape jelly and cocktail sauce until melted and smooth over medium heat.  Turn down to low and add frozen meatballs.  Let simmer 2 hours before serving.

That is it.  I know it seems crazy but it works and it is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment