Friday, February 15, 2013

Hockey for a Cause

I hope everyone had a wonderful Valentine's Day.  Mine was great.  I got a homemade keychain from Keely and the scarf I wanted from my awesome husband.  It makes me feel very Steven Tyler-ish.

So excited to be going to see the Adirondack Phantoms hockey team tonight.  A portion of ticket sales are going to the South High Marathon Dance.  Marathon is a big thing around here.  I had no idea just how big until Keely was nominated to be a recipient 2 years ago.  Now it is something that I will never NOT be a part of.  Our high school students dance for 28 hours the first weekend in March.  They have to raise a minimum to dance but it is a big deal to be a top fund raiser. Some kids raise thousands of dollars.  Then there are donations from local businesses, restaurants, a silent auction and further fundraising including a 50/50 raffle that happen over the weekend.  The community is invited to go to watch the kids dance.  The public is not allowed on the dance floor but Keely being a former recipient is allowed to dance.  In just the last 2 years alone our students have raised almost $750,000!

The funds we received help send Keely to a special camp in Colorado for children who use talking devices.  It also allowed us to get the iPad and voice app she uses.  It was the biggest blessing.  The kids were amazing and even now we run into dancers who remember Keely.  I am sure you will here more about Marathon as the event gets closer.

Dinner tonight is already in the oven.  This way we can eat as soon as Matt gets home and make the 7:00 game.  Meatless of course because today is Friday.  It is one of those dishes that I don't seem to think about making until Lent and then I will make it at least twice.

My mother used to make this for us, during Lent, when I was growing up.  I loved it then and I love it now.

Curried Tuna Casserole

3 cans chunk light tuna
2 cups shredded swiss cheese
1 box pasta of your choice (shells, rotini or ruffles work best for this recipe)
1 can cream of celery soup
1/2 cup mayonaise
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp dried onion flakes
1 tsp seasoned salt
1 tbsp curry powder

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.  Cook pasta according to directions. Drain and combine with tuna, 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese, mayonnaise, soup, garlic powder, onion flakes, seasoned salt, curry powder.  Transfer to casserole dish and bake for 20 minutes.  Sprinkle top with remaining cheese and bake for 5 more minutes until cheese is melted.


No comments:

Post a Comment