Thursday, January 3, 2013

Baby It's Cold Outside

So, to say it is cold outside is an understatement... it is positively frigid up here in the great white north! The weather app on my phone tells me the temperature is 1. ONE!!!!! I don't even want to stick my hand out the door to get the mail out of the mail box.

My big project for today is to de-Christmas-fy my house. All things Christmas are to be put away with the exception of the lights on my archway. (I call them fairy lights and then I can keep them up all year.) So out with the Santas and in with the Snowmen in the Milligan household and since we will most likely have ground cover here until mid March the snowmen stick around a while. 

Once that is done I need to prepare for my Girl Scout meeting tonight. I know nothing like waiting until the last minute. We are going to start getting ready for World Thinking Day in February. Our country this year is Russia. So the girls will need to come up with some information for our display and decide on what food to make for everyone to try. Lucky for me the meetings take place at my house so I still can avoid going outside today. 

I thought I would share my Chili recipe with you for those who are interested. Sharing a recipe that is uniquely mine is tough because I am a cook by taste person and not really a measuring person (which is why I can't bake, all baking done at Chez Milligan is done by Mr. Milligan). 


Kim's Famously Delicious Chili


1 pound lean ground beef
2 packets taco seasoning
3 cans beans of your choosing (light pink kidney, cannelini, black, pinto, garbanzo, butter, etc) 
1 large jar mild salsa (I don't do spicy foods so if you do use hot salsa) 
1 large can crushed tomatoes
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder

Brown ground beef in stock pot with taco seasoning. Once meat is browned, drain and add beans to pot, add salsa, crushed tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, garlic and onion powder. Stir and cook on low heat at least 3-4 hours uncovered. Should make 8-10 cups of chili. 

Thats it. You see why I make this at least 3 times a month in the winter. 

You can also brown the ground beef and put everything in a crock pot and cook on low. The longer it cooks the better. 


No comments:

Post a Comment