Monday, January 14, 2013

Tell Me Why I Don't Like Mondays

"I went to sleep with gum in my mouth and now there's gum in my hair..."
Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

Did you ever have one of those days where nothing seems to go smoothly? I feel like that was my day today. First I forgot to pack Keely's library book to go back to school today. Then every task seemed to take twice as long as it should because somewhere in the middle there was some sort of glitch or I discovered something leading to another related task.  "I will just take a second and load the dishwasher...oh shoot, there are clean dishes in the dishwasher that need to be unloaded." That sort of thing.

It seems my Beauty had the same sort of day.  She was not quite feeling herself this morning after yesterday's gastrointestinal ordeal so she had a bad morning in school and had to "move a stick" there by causing her to miss 5 minutes of recess (a big deal to a 9 year old).  Then at lunch she dropped her sandwich.  Her aid got her a new one, she ate about half and then spilled her milk all over the rest.  Poor peanut. Her mother forgot to pack her library book so she did not get a new one from the library.

Her afternoon seemed to get better.  She had to write an "essay" about what she would do if she found a dinosaur in our backyard.  Apparently she would pet it, then ride it to school. *love it* I am thrilled that she is getting better at thinking of things to write. There was a time where she would not be able to come up with anything.  I wonder sometimes if she takes advantage of her silence as a way to hold back the world?  Easier to shrug her shoulders than put the work into writing something or using her device to answer a question.

We got all her homework done and actually made to it Aqua Therapy early today. She had a wonderful  therapy session and was beautifully behaved.  While she ate dinner and watched Horseland, I finished picking the rotisserie chickens I got this weekend for the Chicken and Gnocci soup.

I love grocery store rotisserie chicken! I can honestly say I would not be able to roast my own chicken for $4.99.  I only buy them when they are on sale and then I will get several at a time. If you work your chicken right you can get a good 3 meals out of it. If I have more than one I separate the meat into light and dark and freeze it.  Then I boil the carcass and make chicken stock.
I let it cook down quite a bit. When I started it the liquid was up to the top row of holes.  Now I have a wonderful stock that I can use later this week or freeze for use further down the line.

While that was boiling away I finally got Matt's breakfast burritos done. Like the freezer sandwiches I try to keep them under 200 calories.  You really have to watch the calorie count on the flour tortillas, they can get up there.  If I can get them on sale I will use the Flat Out flat bread for 100 calories. Here is this rounds ingredients.

Breakfast Burrito
16 servings
2 packages Old El Paso 8 inch flour tortillas
16 medium eggs
8 slices Sargento Ultra Thin colby jack cheese
16 slices Oscar Mayer Deli Fresh black forest ham
salt and pepper to taste

Scramble the eggs 8 at a time and allow to cool (hot fillings will leak through tortilla wrap).
To assemble lay one tortilla on a piece of plastic wrap. Place 1/4 cup of scrambled egg 1/3 of the way from the bottom of the tortilla, add a slice of ham and half a slice of cheese.  Fold the bottom of the tortilla over the filling and fold in both sides making a pocket. Roll away from you until you reach the farthest end of the tortilla keeping the sides tucked in as you roll. Wrap in plastic wrap and tuck in the sides.

Again simple and easy.  You can add whatever fillings you want shredded cheese, shredded potato, chopped bacon, salsa, veggies.  Just remember the more stuff you add the larger the tortilla you are going to need.

Tomorrow is going to be a crockpot day.  We have an appointment for the Beauty with the ENT.  I always make her appointments for the very end of the day, this way when they clean out her ears her screaming does not scare any of the other patients.

2 comments:

  1. Kim, love the breakfast burrito idea. How do you warm it up? Microwave? How long?

    Christine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christine, we have a reheat button on our microwave so Matt just tosses a frozen one in and hits that button. I believe it would be the equivalent of one and a half to two minutes at 50% power. I am going to test that theory out and get back to you.

      Delete